OMG – Amazon has done it again – they have, in one stroke pretty much destroyed the paper back publishing industry, at least in my part of the world where a paperback can easily cost over US$25! Yes there is a new Kindle out in time for Christmas 2011 (shipping late November I believe) – and its called … well there are four of them: Kindle, Kindle Touch, Kindle Touch 3G and Kindle Fire.
So why am I buzzing around telling you to go and check out the new Kindles now? Well obviously I want my Amazon sales to boom at the end of the year. Because, frankly, at $79 – why aren’t you giving everyone a Kindle? I am certainly thinking that my partner needs to stop borrowing mine! And no,I wouldn’t pay for a teenager to have an expensive, fragile tablet – but I would consider the tablet version called Kindle Fire at under $199.
No its not the cute new Kindles that have me excited – its the fact that when the Kindle 3 came out (the current one, why don’t they like version numbers?) last year, the sales for Indie e-book authors went through the roof. You see what do you do when someone gives you a new Kindle – yes – you spend the holidays buying books, cheap books, that Indie’s put out for 99c – not the outrageously priced ones from the traditional publishers.
So if you want to check out the new Kindle models (you can still buy the “old” one too – which is the only one that now comes with a keyboard, here you go:
So now I REALLY have to get my act together and get the next five books I have in my head out into the pixels… This is going to be huge – and not just in the US. From what I can see I can get Amazon to deliver the new Kindle for less than I can buy them downtown. They are also releasing some models through the UK store for UK Kindle Store shoppers.
Why You Need To Buy a Kindle in 2011
And for those of you who haven’t got e-books and Kindles yet.
Why the Kindle is cool:
- you can read it in bright sunlight – try that with your iPad or netbook;
- you can read it in bed without causing yourself or your partner concussion or hand cramps – try that with the latest 400 page trade paper back;
- you can read it without glasses because you can dial the font up to super-size – try that with a cheap book with crap typography;
- people who have serious sight loss can read it (or listen to it- they will talk to you as well) – without paying a fortune for the very limited selection of large print books published;
- you can listen to it read your book while you are stuck in traffic – did I mention the battery life is still about 1 month?
- you can get the book immediately – you click its on your Kindle – I’ve read more books in the few months that I’ve had the Kindle than I’d read in the previous year;
- once you have bought someone a Kindle – you never need to think of a present again -just buy them an Amazon gift card.
Why eBooks are cool:
- they are removing the gatekeepers – you don’t need an agent and a publishing contract to publish your book – you need a free Amazon publisher account and a free Smashwords account – just like iTunes did for music;
- the price of books are coming down, seriously down – while the percentage that (self-published) authors are going up – a lot.
- e-books mean you can take 3500 books with you on vacation and still pack light;
- you can read trashy novels, erotica or Shakespeare on the c0mmute – and no one knows;
- you can subscribe to a newspaper or magazine and be able to read it standing up, on-handed on the Tube (seriously that’s why the Brit’s buy them);
- you don’t even need a Kindle to read them – or any form of e-Reader – Amazon has free Kindle software for Macs, PCs, iPads, iPhones, Android and few others I never heard of.
Share the love
Get free updates