I have a dream: to do what I want when I want – and I am very, very lucky to be living it! Passive income isn’t a terribly easy goal – but I am getting there – and I think I just turned a big corner, let me explain. Not income wise, but in the psychological, mumbo-jumbo department!
When I did my last update I had had a pretty bad month. I lost my part-time job in late January – and it had stuffed up my productivity! How so? Even with only 2 days a week work it gave my week structure. Now it was gone and I appeared to be going nowhere. I admitted my frustration in a private forum I am a member of (sorry closed to new members at the moment – I’ll let you know if it re-opens) – and got jumped on pretty hard. I thought my problem was keyword research – but it wasn’t – the problem was I hadn’t down enough work!
That is not to say I wasn’t spending all day at the beach, nope worse than that, I was distracted by forums, commenting for fun, twitter and a whole lot of other unproductive stuff! In fact an on-line friend asked me what sites I wanted to promote in a mutual-help group he was starting – and I didn’t have any I could be bothered with anymore!
I wasn’t being lazy – not logging on lazy – but I was unfocused I hadn’t figured out what I had to do to succeed – even though I did know – and have known for nearly a year – build more sites! For goodness sakes the original name of this blogs was “Journey of 100 sites!” Had I developed 100 sites – nope!
I got mad – first at my colleagues in the forum – and then at myself! Someone called me stubborn – I laughed out loud – its odd how someone who has never met you can pick out some major personality trait like that!
My main issue was: people say you can’t achieve unless you believe that you will achieve – but I don’ t believe in anything I can’t touch: the Easter Bunny, Father Christmas and God being my main examples.
I’m not much into the pop psychology, “law of attraction” crap. I did however, somewhat in desperation, do a bit of a google – and came up with the concept of visualisation. Sorry I don’t know where I got the check list from – I wrote it on a bit of paper – and it was very useful- leave me a comment if you recognise the source! Having decided on what your goal is: in my case passive recurring income from niche sites – you need to go through the following steps:
- Is the result possible. Do other people do this?
- Is the result possible by me – do I have the skills?
- Do I really want this result?
- Do I deserve the result?
- Does the goal contradict my other beliefs?
- Create a plan to achieve the goal
- Do the steps in the plan contradict my beliefs?
- Do you can do the steps in the plan?
- Do you believe you will do the steps in the plan?
- Believe that you will achieve the goal.
OK nothing better to do at midnight when I couldn’t sleep so I worked thru the steps.
- Yes I know other people who make over $10k /month with this model.
- I believe I have the skills – the technical stuff is pretty easy, the writing is fine, I can outsource what I can’t do myself
- Oh yes! I felt like trapped in corporate IT. Even if there wasn’t a financial crises I wouldn’t want to go back! Its waaay too good havin control of your life.
- Why the fuck not? No one will get hurt in the process and I certainly own my partner over a year of him working and me not producing any income.
- This was infact my initial issue with Internet Marketing – but I found out a while ago that its perfectly possible to sell on-line without ripping anyone off.
- Plan – its in my head – its not that hard:
- find long-tail keyword to target
- find a way to monetize
- build site
- promote site to top of SERPs
- rinse and repeate
- Well bugger me I think I might believe in my goal now!
Sorry for the ramble – now I have to go and build some more sites!
EDIT – this post moved me to tears writing it – and this video totally expresses what I not have the skill to say in words:
Share the love
Get free updates