Who needs new keywords then? Well any of us who want to make money online in my experience. As I mentioned recently, I’m using Wizzley to make some fast cash – though this approach will make you money regardless of the platform – so long as the website is in Google’s good graces.
So does it work? Let’s see – I was aiming for 7 articles/day on Wizzley – hmm not quite – I’m up to 17 articles on my main account on wizzley – so what have I have I earned?
As as of 13 Jan – I’ve made $46 from Amazon and as of 15 Jan $30 from Adsense, that’s not bad given the age of most of my articles and how few of them I have.
I’m also getting a 10% order rate ie from around 450 clicks – I had 45 orders – I don’t have a huge amount of Amazon data to judge this by – but to this looks like a pretty darn good conversion rate.
What I am doing with Wizzley is a slightly new approach to me. As some of you will know most of us have been continuously frustrated with Google’s Adwords Tool inability to provide long-tail keywords. I’ve pretty much given up on it myself for long-tails.
Instead what I’m using is a tool which scrapes queries from Google’s autosuggest feature – Keyword Researcher. Basically it takes a few minutes to basically give me 500-1000 suggestions on everything I’ve tried it on.
Now KR won’t give you either competition or numbers searched. But obviously if a term is even in KR it must be searched for more than once (which is by some stats I saw ages ago is about 40% of all Google searches).
Basically for the length of time it takes me to write a Wizzley page – I’m not too worried about how many searchers there are either.
- I basically throw a seed keyword into Keyword Researcher – and let it do its thing (incredibly fast I might add)!
- I add all the keywords I have into Keyword Strategy tool and sort by search volume – you will see a lot of zeros ie no search traffic, but the term is from Google’s own “auto suggest” – Google lies – proof positive!
- I basically start at the top – focus on the terms with the most searches and create about five pages – all targeting different, but related keywords. I create exact match urls with Wizzley and I interlink these pages.
- Anything that raises its head in the top 100 – I start sending links to from SEO Cobra (using a link wheel at the moment – which seems to work great!) . Eventually they will all probably get backlinks – but the ones that show most promise get prioritized.
- Rinse and repeat as they say.
- Wizzley is not my site. They could go away tomorrow – I’m using them as a supplement to my income – they are not my main focus long term. If I find some nice new keyword groups that I think I can rank – I’ll build my own site and use the Wizzley pages for backlinks and traffic funnels.
Its nothing new – in fact its almost exactly the approach advocated back in the day when Court from the Keyword Academy – got excited about Hubs. (well except he was using Postrunner for backlinks and Hubpages not Wizzley) – it works.
Doing exactly the same thing will work on your own site – it will work faster if it has authority. How do you know if a site has authority? Easy, does an easy keyword rank with little or no backlinking? In fact its a perfect tool to use to build out a niche site to be a larger one – you really will have too many keywords to deal with!
Would I go out and buy Keyword Strategy just to get the search volumes easily?
Probably not – you can get them (about 75 at a time) – using Google’s Adwords Tool – or you can just figure out that if you are going after a competitive term like weight loss – is going to take a while and a lot of links, while going after “travel to Burma” – not so much!
If you are doing a competitive niche focus on 3 or long word phrases. Google will tell you there is no searches of course, but my stats beg to differ, and so does its own auto-suggest tool!
Do You Need Backlinks?
I rank #1 for “wizzley review” and “wizzley scam” . I haven’t built a single backlink for those terms – but this site has lots of authority for “review” and “scam” because of previous backlinks. For “empower network scam” – I started at #8 but dropped to #14 – so now I’m building links and I’m back to #11 – this is a competitive term – some people are making a lot of money with this scam.
So if you are using a tool like Keyword Researcher to find long tail keywords – you may or may not need backlinks depending on a) how competitive the niche is and b) how much authority the site you are putting content on has.