Guys – this is a neat new tool to create websites really easily, from a cool guy Steve McGrath over at McGrath Info Solutions.
MyStarterBlog is an easy way to create a blog without all the overhead of WordPress – no database required!
MyStarterBlog is a cool little program which allows you to upload a complete website – including content (which you have to provide of course) in one file. There is no database involved. There are a couple of advantages to this.
- It takes very little bandwidth or other resources from your host – it will run a lot faster than the equivalent site running WordPress or blogger.
- Although there is a comment facility (via email) – and most visitors will think the site is a blog (check out the example MyStarterBlog site here), its not a blog in the sense of spammers looking for a place to put their viagra ads in your comments!
- Runs out of the box with some themes pre-packaged but you can buy more themes or adapt whats available if you are prepared to hack some php.
- You don’t have to update your blog/theme/ widgets every time you login just to make a 5 minute post!
- You are less likely to get hacked because hackers target WordPress’s known security flaws – meaning that you have to keep upgrading (see 4. above!)
- If you ever need to move host – you just reload the site – one file – DONE! If you have ever tried moving a WordPress blog between sites you will understand that this approximately a a zillion steps less!
- You only have one small file to upload – around 300k, rather than the 4MB or so that most WordPress installs involve.
Will It Cost Me? Yes and No
There is a free version which has the following restrictions:
- Only supports one blog
- Links on pages are no-followed
Download it had have a play -a the end of the day – if you hate – you have spent – nothing!
If you upgrade to the registered version – currently $17 now $7 – can’t beat that price!, then you have:
- Unlimited blog support
- Ablity to import posts from text files
- Ability to import from existing WordPress blogs (using the XML export format)
If you like product then write a post about it on your blog within 15 days of your first purchase. Email Steve with your details and he will refund $10 to your PayPal or AlertPay account. You don’t need to do the review anymore the software will cost you $7 – that’s not free – but its bloody close to!
And that includes free upgrades for life to!
Bottom Line: Do I Recommend MyStarterBlog
Yes I do if you have specialist blogs that you don’t update so often I think its ideal – because frankly for most blogs WordPress is waaaay over the top.
It would also be idea for a beginner blogger – you don’t have to learn about widgets/themes/upgrades etc etc
I recommend it to because you can try it before you buy – and I like that in software.
What You Will Need to Use MyStarterBlog
You will need hosting, a domain name, an ftp program (to upload your files). See my recommendations for these and other software here on my Software I Use page
I’m going to get my $10 for this post – but you don’t have to write a postive post to get that $10 – Steve just wants to get the buzz going on a new product, so rather than an affiliate program which bumps the price of the software up he has come up with this innovative approach. This is a limited time offer – so give it a go and if you want to get MyStarterBlog for $7 rather than $17 – do it now rather than later!
I tried to find something not to like about this product – but honestly I can’t. I am not a developer myself but I’ve worked with programmers for many years in my real world job and I know how much work goes into creating a cool little tool like this! For the price, even $17 – its a steal.
It may not work for your business so try the free version and see if you have a use before paying.